Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Ministry of Motherhood (Week 2)

Dog ate my homework? My sister spilled her milk on my paper? My printer ran out of ink when I went to print my assignment this morning? (my favorite.) I loved the reasons why my kiddos didn't have their papers and projects done on time. I tried to give them some grace knowing that I'm not always perfect and some things happen that are out of our control. So I'm guilty this time. I ordered the book on half.com the day after Jess informed me of the book club, it shipped last week, but it's not here yet. So, I've kept up with the scripture reading, but will have to play catch up with the book reading. Shoot!


I have been very encouraged with the scripture reading. I LOVE that it is one or two verses a day to digest. I tend to be the type to read the entire [insert type of document here] and then don't give myself time to process thus learning and remembering very little.

In week one I was especially drawn to the verse in 2 Timothy 1: 5 where Paul is reassured by Timothy's ability to lead because his grandmother and mother have such a sincere faith that they have passed down to Timothy. I really, REALLY can have a huge impact on the lineage Kipp and I have created. Sometimes I just naively think Little Belle will turn out just fine if I have all of my parenting tricks up my sleeve ready to be whipped out in time of need. I know in my head how important it is for me to set a good example, and that my everyday language, choices, and reactions are what will primarily make or break a great lineage.

The subsequent verses in our daily reading have been about some part of this concept that it's really MY character that will influence the character of my children. "Everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher." Well, some days I don't want Little Belle to be like her teacher (me), and that's no good. "A wise woman builds her house with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." I don't want to be foolish! "Her children arise and calls her blessed; her husband also praises her." Whoa. I want my kids to look back on their experience "under my wing" and be encouraged by the type of woman that raised them.

And, this type of woman is wise. These verses about being wise were in perfect timing with a sermon at church that discussed what it meant to be wise.
--Pure
--Peace-loving
--Considerate
--Submissive
--Merciful/good fruit
--Impartial
--Sincere

This is great. Sometimes I think of a wise person as being insanely smart. A person doesn't have to be smart to be able to love people impartially. To treat all people with dignity and respect and truly love them despite what they bring to the table.

Remember Jessica at Who Left the Light On? is also reading through the study and posting her thoughts. In the words of Mamma Odie in Princess and the Frog (yeah, I've seen it once or twice), "Oooooo, this is gone be goooooood!"

2 comments:

  1. This is great, Breanna. I was thinking the same thing: as the student becoming like the teacher. If I'm a bad teacher, they'll be bad students. :( But you're right about wisdom not being about "smarts" but about your heart. In Job 32, Elihu tells Job and his friends that wisdom doesn't come from the years you've lived but from the spirit within a man. I pray for God to give me that Spirit. :)

    I can't wait for you to get the book. It took me a while to get through the introduction, but I read chapters 1 and 2 in a half-hour sitting. :) Yay to that!

    Thanks for participating and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on ministering to our children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! sounds like a great book too. I remember becoming a mom and struggling with not having time to participate in my former official ministry: mentoring younger single women. Being a mom didn't and still doesn't have the validation I experienced from investing in younger women - nor does it look like it, but it's still ministry. I think I'll have to see about reading that book sometime myself.

    ReplyDelete