Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I need a glass of wine (no, not WHINE)

At least it's after lunch.

And, the sad part is I was without Little Belle for 4 hours this mornings, but the MINUTE she sees me it's like she flips on her whiny switch. People who watch her tell me she's so sweet and listens and I'm SO thankful for that, but why do I get the short end of the stick? Me. The one who makes sure her snack cup is full, her drink is cold, and her toys are fun all the while looking like I just ran a marathon (which is how I feel).

I'm exhausted.

It seems like just about every other aspect of parenting I have had such confidence in what to do. If she is about to hurt herself or someone else (or does hurt someone else which rarely happens), we go to the chart, talk about the characteristics and if it continues she gets spanked (yep, we do that.) Or if it's blatant disobedience we do the same thing. But, with whining I canNOT come up with a consequence that will help it to stop. I don't feel justified in spanking her when she whines (although I'm to the point where I'm open to that idea). So, I've put her in a timeout. Last week she put HERSELF in a timeout. So, that must be affective. I've put her in her room, and she just screamed and screamed. I put her in her bed telling her she must be so tired if she's whining, and that was 2 hours ago. She's still up there kicking her bed, jumping in her bed, and making herself gag (seriously, who does that?).

And, let me describe the whining. It's not like she's whining to GET something. She's literally talking in a whiny voice. So, the obvious is to not give her something when she asks in a whiny voice, but that's not always the case. Sometimes she talks in a whiny voice and then smirks because she knows it drives me nuts.

I talk with her about whining like she's one of my 7th graders, so that clearly isn't going to register with her little 2 year old brain. It sure makes me feel better though, because I just pretend like she's comprehending all that I say.

With all of that said, I'm looking for ANY advice or tips to help me deal with this road block in parenting. I've been praying about it and praying about it, and it's time I solicit some advice from other moms (or dads) who have done something that seems to work. I know all kids are different, but I just need another tool to at least try.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of moms telling their little ones, "honey, I can't hear you when you whine...my ears just don't work well that way. If you talk in a regular voice, I can hear you better. Can you try to say it in this other voice for me?" (find the right terminology that works for the both of you.) ---yeah, I know, this takes ALOT of self-control and patience in moments when we feel we're completely run out of both. Just something that came to my mind....you're doing SUCH a great job as a mommie, Breanna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I'm not looking forward to that part of parenthood. I'm enjoying the discipline-free days with Landon...I know they won't last long!
    Excited to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete