Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Book It! : Bossypants by Tina Fey




I finished another book on my list of books to finish before 2012. Bossypants by Tina Fey was an excellent and quick read. I love comedy, and I especially love women in comedy. Molly Shannon has always been my favorite simply because of her light-hearted, goofy characters. However, Kristin Wig, Amy Poehler, and Tina Fey are also on my list of favorites.
The overall theme of Tina's book was women in the "bossypants" role. She wrote about her experiences as a woman in comedy at The Second City in Chicago, then at SNL, and finally as the producer and creator of 30 Rock. Throughout her autobiography she comically touches on women and some of the junk we have to deal with as far as image goes. She writes this about photoshop: "Do I think photoshop is being used excessively? Yes. I saw Madonna's Louis Vuitton ad and honestly, at first glance, I thought it was Gwen Stefani's baby."

And, she also touches on being a working mom. Here is the advice she gives about getting "me time":
-Go to the bathroom a lot
-Offer to empty the dishwasher
-Take ninety-minute showers. (If you only shower every three or four days, it will be easier to get away with this.)
-Say you're going to look for the diaper creme, then go into your child's room and just stand there until your spouse comes in and curtly says, "What are you doing?"
-Stand over the sink and eat the rest of your child's dinner while he or she pulls at your pant leg asking for it back.
-Try to establish that you're the only one in your family allowed to go to the post office.
-"Sleep when your baby sleeps." Everyone knows this classic tip, but I say why stop there? Scream when your baby screams. Take Benadryl when your baby takes Benadryl. And, walk around pantless when your baby walks around pantless.
-Read! When your baby is finally down for the night, pick up a juicy book like Eat, Pray, Love or Pride and Prejudice, or my personal favorite Understanding Sleep Disorders: Narcolepsy and Apnea; A Clinical Study. Taking some time to read each night really taught me how feign narcolepsy when my husband asked me what my "plan" was for taking down the Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment