Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Fruits of the Spirit Discipline

A little break from the soapy water, pledge, and windex...

 



I have a particular friend who has great practical things to use to help her little girl understand right from wrong. I love hanging out with her and picking her brain about parenting. She will tell you that she gets her information from dear friends who have a bit older kids. Isn't is awesome to have friends like this?

Our goal is to parent Olivia, so that she will continue to grow in her desire to be like Jesus. When I first introduced this chart to Olivia, she was so excited. I guess that's a good reaction. As a visual learner myself, I just assume my kids will be as well. The conversation goes something like this:
A behavior is happening that you don't approve of, so you pick 'em up and take them to the chart.
Me:Olivia, you are whining. (point to whining on the chart) What color is whining?
O: RED one
Me: Whining is in the red one, and we don't want to be in the red one. Where do we want to be?
O: YEYO one
Me: Yes, we want to be joyful and loving. (pointing to the words when you say them)

8/10 times that's as far as I have to go with regards to discipline. If she continues to whine (or whatever), I take her to the chart and go through it again and then provide a consequence.
It has really seemed to work for us, and I love having words to say readily available at each time of discipline. I like categorizing her behaviors and providing an opposite more Jesus-like characteristic to teach her about. As she gets older these behaviors in red will change, and the conversations will get a little more in depth. But, for now, I think she's getting it as much as a 2 year old can get it. And, it provides a conversation each time she does something we don't approve of.

1 comment:

  1. Today is the first day I saw YOUR blog! So I'm reading every entry :) And I LOVE this. I'll put it in my back pocket from a couple years from now!

    ReplyDelete