Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It smells like spring!

I love middle schoolers. I taught 7th grade for a little over five years and it was always around this time of year when I just knew that it was spring. I didn't have to look outside, I didn't have to feel the thaw of the winter for myself, all I had to do was take in a deep breath of that sweet scent. This era of life exhibits such self-conscious behavior, but yet, not quite so self-conscious enough to actually give a little swip, swap of the ol' Teen Spirit (do they even make that anymore?)

Then, the teachers are so tired of their stored up energy they release them out into the wild to roll around in the grass and allow the warmth of the sun to mingle with their newly developing hormones,and the result is breathtaking. Literally. It's a distinct smell. A smell that can only be emanated from a group of these youthful souls. The smelly combination of the mass produced lunch, the sour disinfectant from cleaning up said lunch, and these sweaty little bodies is so overwhelming that not even a gallon of Axe body spray could cover up. (But, believe me. They. Will. Try.) It's only THEN that you know it is truly Spring.

Thanks Gilbert 6th graders for the reminder today.

No comments:

Post a Comment